Monday, September 22, 2008

New Kitchen

We have decided it's way past time to get a new kitchen. The cabinets we have are so old that I get sawdust in all the dishes that are in my drawers. And I am pretty sure the cabinets have been painted about 7 times. Needless to say we are super excited. But we need help. We need advise, input, and ideas. Here is what we are thinking, and if you have any input or know people that you would recommend to do the job please let us know.
For the cabinets we are going with a knotty alder. I have always wanted white but have realized it's super expensive to have. So I'll settle for alder. We have a few bids out there and are pretty set on one company, OA Kitchen. They do work for my brother, Blake, and gave us a great good deal.
As far as the counter top that is where we are having the biggest problem. We have talked about Granite, but I don't love the shininess of it (which I could have it honed but I am not sure how much cost that would add.) Any reviews on granite?
We have also looked into a concrete overlay. I have seen this in a few show homes and love that I can have it any color I want. But I actually love the color of concrete in it's natural state. We have also heard you can do a concrete overlay on floors. Which would be AWESOME cause we hate our tile but it would not be worth it to chip it up. Have any of you guys ever heard of doing this or done it? We would love to hear.
Now for the colors of the kitchen. I already have a little color scheme going. I have yellow and green Fiestaware dishes,












And curtains that are yellow, green, and orange. So I am wanting to stick with that scheme. However I have always wanted to add another color to my dishes and the scheme. I would love to incorporate this color;

But I am not sure how that would work with the curtains. And if I was to do that, what color could I paint my kitchen walls? We are wanting to do white beadboard 3/4 up the wall and then do a fun color. Any suggestions?
There are so many talented people out there that I am hoping I can get some help from. I don't want to look at my kitchen after it's done and think about what I am going to do to change it. I want to LOVE it. And I will love you for helping me :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Granite has a tendency to "soak" up things....Not a real good option when raising a family.

The Ballard's said...

Just a thought... Alder is one of the very softest woods. Maple is a hard wood, but unless you do a raised panel maple doesn't stain real even. Think knotty hickory.

cat+tadd=sam said...

I think it may be best to install styrofoam cupboards. Affordable, extremely durable, and versitale! As for the floor, I've heard carpeted kitchens are the new thing.

Brandy said...

I love concrete countertops! I have a few friends do them recently and I'm a fan!

Anonymous said...

Could you not add some sort of color or something or maybe something else within the concrete to "personalize" it. I'm not sure about it but that would be cool. By the way, you are so domestic Marie. i love you. Gabe and I are moving out of our crackden apartment this weekend. Call me so I can get out of moving heavy things!

Love,
Eryn

Holly Rhees said...

Hey,
One of Reggie's bball players dad has a company that does concrete countertops and floors. I've heard the do a good job. If you want there number call me.

Debbie Richmond said...

Okay cutie, you are over thinking this thing. I am not sure who said that granite counter tops "soak" up things, never heard of that, ever. Cement counter tops are awesome, you can have them in colors or just the stone color. Stainless steel would be a good look with the beadboard too! I think putting blue in would be fine with those curtains as well. You could find some cute blue accessories to tie it all in. As far as your walls choose a lighter shade of a color you like. Don't go to bright as your dishes and accessories will take care of that. You trust your instincts and you will do a great job!!! I will always be happy to help, you know that. You are awesome and can do a great job. To be honest while I was typing this I was picturing it all together with the concrete and beadboard, colors and all! I know I am a freak but that is why you love me. Kiss Cora Cora for me....xxx ooo

RiverGirl said...

We just remodeled our kitchen.
We had tile and found someone who would lay new tile right over, without the expense of ripping up the old stuff. It turned out great!
I found good deals on sink, faucet, backsplash at costco.com and overstock.
We installed granite (with a thick edge) and love it!
we worked with jeff at beautiful tile to installed the granite and he did a great job!
You should look at all the colors of granite before you count it out. Contempo in slc has a really good warehouse for colors.
Good luck.
I am excited to see the results!
Marcie Clark